Thursday, March 13, 2008




Dear MoveOn,

I want to thank you for two things: changing American politics in the direction I want it to be changed; and renewing my faith that there was still room
for it to change.

I've been on your side 100%, until today.

Today's email, the ad for an ad contest for Obama (MoveOn's way of endorsing him?), really bothers me.

It seems so un-MoveOn to endorse one candidate over another -- when there are only two -- without explaining why.

Or did you send an explanatory email earlier, and I didn't receive it? (If so, could you please resend it?)

If not, though...MoveOn's all about ethicality and clarity and upfrontness, right? All the facts so people can make informed decisions, right?

So, what's the deal?

I assume there are others like me: folks who don't know which Democratic candidate to choose, but are slightly suspicious of the media's neutrality/coldness toward Clinton, in the face of its extreme hype of Obama.

For us, MoveOn's endorsement-without-explanation seems disturbingly in step with that very message: go with Obama
because we want you to. Not, go with Obama for reasons x,y, and z.

Please explain the logic behind MoveOn's decision to endorse one candidate over the other without explaining why.

Thank you.

Maggie Sullivan
Costa Mesa, CA





Okay, I just had to say that. I'll get off my soapbox now.


No comments:

About Me

I came to Minneapolis from southern California this May to help my 88-year-old mother care for my 86-year-old father. He fell last November, and then declined cognitively for a month as his bones healed at a rehab facility under quarantine. He hasn't undeclined. Before retiring in the 1990s, he was a theater critic, & still seems to have some of his self-confidence and wit alongside vascular dementia, Parkinsonisms, incontinence and real trouble walking. Given his otherwise-ok health, he might still have some tolerable years ahead, though with new parameters. My mom's a novelist. She seems made of iron.