Saturday, February 17, 2007




Going to California


It’s a windy night with fireflies
and I’m taking apart a guitar
and my sisters are upstairs fighting
about a brush. Sixteen lemons
have fallen since you were here.
I should send you one
so you can eat it in front of somebody
and impress him. (That is meant to be a joke.)


One thing you should know
is that you have extremely beautiful hair.
Those guys had been partying
too heavily for their own well-being
and were about to fall asleep.
They were more dreaming than seeing.
Add to this the fact that they
are not artistically creative.
I feel sorry for them, more than anything else.


Well you haven’t written yet.
That’s cool. I know how it is
when you don’t feel like writing a letter.
You probably have more significant things
to think about, like school.
Could you send me your phone number again?
Unfortunately, Jennifer thought it was a receipt
and threw it away.


Well I’m back and look
you’ve driven me to drink.
I’m mailing this right after it’s finished
so please make some allowances.
I had a dream about you last night.
Listen I wish you would come back sometime.
They put up a whole new building
for Maeder and those assholes.
You wouldn’t even have to see them.






No comments:

About Me

I came to Minneapolis from southern California this May to help my 88-year-old mother care for my 86-year-old father. He fell last November, and then declined cognitively for a month as his bones healed at a rehab facility under quarantine. He hasn't undeclined. Before retiring in the 1990s, he was a theater critic, & still seems to have some of his self-confidence and wit alongside vascular dementia, Parkinsonisms, incontinence and real trouble walking. Given his otherwise-ok health, he might still have some tolerable years ahead, though with new parameters. My mom's a novelist. She seems made of iron.