Tuesday, February 20, 2007




Still reading "The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas" (the lady of hash brownie legend), by Gertrude Stein. The funny thing is, every time I open it up, my face goes into this solid, against-my-will smile, as if I'm on Starship 2000 at the fair, or indeed eating a hash brownie. There is something so Gumptious about it. Also Delighted, Simple, Informative, Chatty and Grand.

Tonight, one of my old supervisors at the bookstore sold me a perfect-condition 1934 first edition of "Portraits and Prayers" by Ms. Stein for $125, when it normally goes for $600, and is letting me pay it in three installments. He found it at a library sale for a dollar or something.

I thought that was quite good.




No comments:

About Me

I came to Minneapolis from southern California this May to help my 88-year-old mother care for my 86-year-old father. He fell last November, and then declined cognitively for a month as his bones healed at a rehab facility under quarantine. He hasn't undeclined. Before retiring in the 1990s, he was a theater critic, & still seems to have some of his self-confidence and wit alongside vascular dementia, Parkinsonisms, incontinence and real trouble walking. Given his otherwise-ok health, he might still have some tolerable years ahead, though with new parameters. My mom's a novelist. She seems made of iron.